Mechanical engineers design tangible consumer parts and products, while software engineers develop digital products and systems. Further, the work of mechanical engineers depends on their understanding of physics, while software engineers rely on algorithms and complex mathematics.
In short, mechanical engineers design technology for systems such as vehicles and other mechanical and electrical devices, while software engineers develop computer and telephone programs.
Know more about the WAN vs LAN.
The business responsibilities of mechanical engineers include:
- Run a simulation to test the design before making it.
- Testing of prototypes of electrical components.
- Development of more efficient motors for cars and airplanes, including electric motors.
- Supervise the production of their designs to ensure that production standards for safety and reliability are met.
The business responsibilities of a software engineer include:
- Using computer programming languages, such as Java, to build algorithms.
- Modeling the computer code needed to create software by creating charts or other visual images.
- Ensuring that all parts of the network are integrated and work together.
- Solve any problems or errors during software development, by periodic testing.