e-bike batteries caused 55 fires
Two New Yorkers died and 60 were injured — including 18 firefighters — in 55 blazes sparked by the lithium-ion batteries that power the zippy two-wheel rides used by delivery workers and other people, according to Fire Department data for the 12 months ending Aug. 1.To get more news about Fat Tire Electric Bikes, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.
In the previous year, the lithium-ion batteries caused fewer than half as many fires — 22 blazes that injured 13 people, including four firefighters.To get more news about electric bikes for adults, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.
A scooter battery sparked a three-alarm inferno May 5 that tore through a Bronx apartment building, killing a 91-year-old woman, the Fire Department says. Eleven others were hurt, some critically.
Before we even knew, the fire was already out of control,” said Octavia Thomas, 26, who escaped the blaze from her first-floor apartment.To get more news about fat tire electric bike for sale, you can visit magicyclebike.com official website.
Fire marshals recovered the battery blamed in the deadly blaze, said FDNY Chief Fire Marshal Daniel Flynn. The battery was analyzed by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is studying battery safety.But the Fire Department already sees faulty after-market batteries as a problem, Flynn told the Daily News.
Replacements, and not the batteries that originally come with scooters, are usually the ones to catch fire, he explained. “The most important thing to do is to stick with the manufacturer’s recommended batteries,” Flynn said.Another safety tip: “Never leave the battery charging unattended,” Flynn said. “A lot of people charge them overnight and go to sleep, but we recommend you don’t do that.”
Overcharging and charging batteries in confined spaces are also a bad idea.“People also tend to charge the batteries in the doorway of their homes, and that causes a substantial safety hazard,” Flynn said. A fire in a doorway can block escape routes, he explained.The data on alarming numbers may not tell the whole story, Flynn said.
“All of these fires are structural fires, so the scooters were inside the home,” said Flynn. “It’s not counting the battery fires that may happen outside.”The News was unable to obtain details on the second fatality involving an e-scooter or e-bike. But other fire reports bear out Flynn’s observations about battery issues.
A lithium-ion battery sparked a fire last Saturday in that tore through an apartment on S. 2nd St. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The blaze destroyed the apartment’s living room, kitchen and bedroom and left three people with minor injuries, officials said.When firefighters arrived, several people were trapped and screaming for help from a fourth-story window, officials said.
“There was heavy smoke and fire coming out several windows with several occupants calling for help from inside,” Battalion Chief Peter Robb said at the time. “Members made a push to remove people both from the interior and the exterior out with the tower ladder.”
The uptick in e-scooter and e-bike battery fires comes as the NYPD continues a crackdown on illegal powered two-wheel vehicles — as well as mopeds and ATVs — which are a transport of choice for gunmen looking for a quick getaway.